Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Josh Freese

  1. #1
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just wanted to know what you guys think of him? He has had an impressive track list so far, and has been endorsed by major drum companies (and prasied by Vinnie) since he was a child.

    Lately he is on EVERYTHING. It's sick. The guy must be just as busy as Vinnie, if not busier! He was on the cover of MD last year, I believe - good feature.

    I must have almost a dozen albums where he is on a track or more, but I've never heard him do anything chops wise. Has he ever??

  2. #2
    Inactive Member natdrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Chris, you are certain;y right about Freese, and theres a reason why Freese is so in demand- versatile! I have heard him play on Chris Cornell's solo album Euphoria morning (Upchurch and Matt Cameron share the throne on a couple other tunes). His playing on "Friend for the end of the world" is really deep in the pocket and he also adds the perfect spice at the end when it gets trippy with the guitar effects. He's very tasteful and his meter his right dead on. Also listen to the song "say goodbye". hope this helps. go to http://www.chriscornell.com and listen.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member natdrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sorry the song is called "preaching the end of the world". by the way the album as a whole (from a songwriters perspective) is great.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I wrote an article with transcriptions of him for Drum! a few issues ago and did tracks from Chris Cornell's solo record, Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Good Charlotte, the Vandals, Static X and others (I think). He's not too complicated, but grooves well and does a lot of interesting things. A buddy saw him with Perfect Circle and said he was awesome.

    The Vandals just played Chicago on the Warp tour but he wasn't with them.

    Brad

  5. #5
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow, that's a lot of transcriptions - very cool!

    Oh yeah, I don't know why I forgot about this, but I saw him with APC opening for NIN a couple years ago - he was VERY physical and solid. Like a more advanced Dave Ghrol. Way more advanced Ghrol [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post



    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 28, 2004 06:36 AM: Message edited by: CLWarunki ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post



    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 28, 2004 06:36 AM: Message edited by: CLWarunki ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Derek DeFields's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2001
    Posts
    1,144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I caught him twice on the last APC Circle show (first gig when his knee as injured so he was playing a kick on the left the whole night) and he was great. Got probably the best live snare sound I've ever heard as well.

    There's quite a few boots on STG of APC with Josh. I recommend the Universal Show from June of this year.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member blake1's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2001
    Posts
    408
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can see him play with DEVO on a DVD.

    Not sure what it's called, but it's live in California.

    He's an incredible rock/punk player and has SERIOUS TIME !

    The guys is really good. Not just good, GREAT !

  10. #10
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    natdrum, yeah I am a soundgarden/cornell fan, and that song you mention is not only one of my fave cornell songs, but one of my fave songs EVER! Yeah, he is solid for sure... blake, somehow I feel the need to laugh when I hear that he is in DEVO! LMAO!

    I wonder how he would be in a clinic/solo situation though.

    He also plays on recent albums from APC, Avril Lavigne, Puddle of Mudd, The Vandals, Abandoned Pools, Viva Death, Tracy Bonham, Strip Search, Juliana Hatfield etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •